Commission and Command of Joshua
Passage: Read Joshua 1
Introduction: Chapter one begins with the commission of Joshua by God after Moses' death. Then, God commands Joshua to lead Israel across the Jordan River into the Promised Land. God also reminds Joshua He would fulfill all the promises He made to Israel's forefathers. God commands Joshua to obey His laws and to meditate on them day and night. As we study Joshua, let us consider the many promises God has made to us and how He is with us every step we take. We will be encouraged by Joshua's faith, as we strive every day to grow our faith in Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior. My prayer is that we will learn from Joshua to have a deep trust in God, so we can tear down the walls, obstacles, and challenges that hinder our daily walk with the Lord.
1. (vv.1-9) What promises does the Lord make to Joshua?
2. What do you think Joshua was feeling at the time of Moses’ death while taking over leadership of Israel?
3. (v.5) “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” What did these words mean to Joshua? To us in the midst of life’s challenges? (Hebrews 13:5-8)
4. (vv.6-9) What commands does the Lord give to Joshua? How is verse 8 a command and an encouragement to Joshua? To us? (Psalm 1:1-3)
5. (vv.10-18) Joshua gives his first commands as leader of Israel. How was God's presence made evident in their response? (Numbers 32:1-27)
By Kevin Haag. © New Testament Christian. Website: new-testament-christian.com. Email: email@example.com.